Image Map

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

You've got to be kidding me!

Every Tuesday night we get the following week's schedule at the restaurant. I am always eager to get the schedule because A) I like to plan ahead for next week and B) I like to start mapping out how much money I will make for my loans. It's always a Tuesday/Wednesday shift week but I hold out hope that she finally started scheduling me more.

Well last night I was caught of guard.

I WAS NOT ON THE SCHEDULE AT ALL!

NOT OK!

I rely on this money to pay my bills and keep me afloat. Unlike some people that hold a second job, I don't work there to just have some extra spending money. I work there to just barely get by. Missing out on two shifts is over $80 + potential tips for me that I will have to take out of savings to pay my loans.

I immediately talked to the manager to see what was up. Since I always work Tuesday & Wednesday, I didn't think it would be a big deal to ask off for a Fri and Saturday for a friend coming to town. Apparently if you ask for "a lot of time off" (2 days!) regardless if you normally work then or not, you get punished by not working at all that week! WHAT THE #(*$^&Q(#*^$!  If I normally work those days, then yes, I would understand her explanation of "we had to make it fair for those people that had to cover for you"...but I could have still worked Tuesday & Wednesday and no one had to cover for me! I even explained this to her and she said, well it's just what we do when people request off.

Wow, really?! I can't afford to ask off again so I'm going to have to hope for the best if I ever need time off and if I'm scheduled, just cross my fingers that someone can take my shift.

For a job that already doesn't give me enough shifts, I might have to look elsewhere already. What would you do?

It's another rainy day here so don't forget to make a guess on coat check tips for tonight as part of yesterday's giveaway!

2 comments:

  1. I would DEFINITELY start looking elsewhere. When you started doing this, I figured you would be totally busy with it, working Friday and Saturday nights plus a few weekday shifts. You could find another hostess/waitress job that gives you more hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's really crappy. I would def. start looking for another job.

    ReplyDelete