Image Map

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Running is not cheap

I needed a new hobby and wanted to finally get in shape. As a lifelong asthma sufferer, I avoided workouts like the plague. I always admired runners and dreamed of being one but the minute I gave it a try, I blamed my asthma for my huffing and puffing, when really I was just out of shape and lazy. Now I've come to terms with the fact that I had been making that excuse and I have a plan to do something about it. However, it's not cheap.

My first lifelong goal was to get a job in my field in NYC and become a New Yorker for a while. I have the job and as of June 1st, my dream is underway. (also definitely not cheap!) I'm all about goals and I knew I needed a new one. Why not finally become a runner, I thought. And my big lifelong goal is to run a marathon. And so it became that I started running.

I joined a gym because they have treadmills and my lungs really truly can't run in cold weather (a completely legit asthma excuse I promise!). They also have free classes, weights and cross training machines that are good for running.  $20/month

I bought a new sports bra and running shorts. $30

I want to sign up for my first 5K. Running fees vary but there almost always is one.

I should buy running shoes strictly for running. I even got fitted for the right pair while in Boston.$94.95
Saucony Progrid Ride 3 is apparently the right shoe for me


I want the long term goal of running a half marathon with my Utah bestie next March in Dallas. Plane ticket + $85 registration + a day of vacation from work

There is also a super awesome running blog conference happening at the Las Vegas half marathon this Dec with my favorite running bloggers speaking. Plane ticket + $130 registration + conference stuff + duh, it's Vegas! + a day of vacation from work

On top of that, I just read a mostly awesome running book and although it was inspiring, it was frustrating because the author made it sound like money is no object with running. Splurge on that really nice pair of shoes and also have a pair for cross training and also have a pair for just casually going around town. Oh, and have a back up pair if yours crap out or they get drenched in rain on the day of the race. Right. And get weekly massages since your muscles will be so sore and they need to recover. And get regular pedicures because your feet deserve a treat from all their hard work. Be sure to have new music to spice up your workouts and you can also buy audio for your iPod to keep the runs entertaining. And frequently buy yourself new running gear as rewards and even have an outfit for races only. Buy clothes that you can just throw away when you're mid run and are too warm. Buy water proof clothing so when it rains you don't get bogged down with water. When you participate in races, make sure you buy a memento from the race expo and buy race pictures because it will be so rewarding to see that picture in a frame on tough running days. Make sure you buy healthy foods and running gadgets and hire a running coach.

Woah woah woah.

Yes, you may be a professional runner and people pay you to do all these things but get realistic please! I doubt I'm the only one that can't afford all these things and they run just fine. Sure, it would be really nice to have these luxuries but if you happened to read yesterday's post, there's no way in hell any of those are in the question.

I've come to terms with the fact that I won't be going to Vegas and the running shoes I have now (basic tennis shoes) are still in good shape and will do their job just fine. Maybe one day I'll splurge on one pair of new, good running shoes, not 3 or 4. I have plenty of workout gear that will last me a while. I do want to register for a 5K and a 10K before I get to the half in March. And I am determined to get to Dallas because I haven't seen my friend in years and I think it's fantastic we can do this together. Bonus reason to go to Dallas, another one of my best friends just landed a job down there and I want to visit her (and she will so kindly give me a place to stay!).

Am I exaggerating? Is it normal to spend that much on running? I don't know how some of these people do it. Actually, I do. They probably don't live in NYC and they probably don't have psychotic student loan payments or credit card debt....

No comments:

Post a Comment