Image Map

Thursday, May 5, 2011

I have THE best parents around!

My parents definitely raised me to manage my own finances starting when I left home at 18. I was on my own to cover college and living expenses -- although I didn't know what to do with my finances and that's why I have this blog. Regardless, despite the stress and hard work, I am very proud of making it on my own so I appreciate my parents' tough love.

That said, they do help when they can. It is never expected but always appreciated.

So today I went to pick up my car from the shop. The man at Mobil said "That'll be $135.17" and I dug into my wallet to hand over 15% of my rent that I've been saving for. Before I could get him the money he said "wait, did you already pay for this?" and the honest Abe that I am, I said no. He explained that he had the receipt already stapled to the order and it was paid for in full. Then he found a note from my dad saying he paid for it and that I should have a great day. What a guy!

All the way from Minnesota he managed to locate the exact Mobil station my car was at and pay for the car without me having a clue! That is one of the most thoughtful surprises I've had in a long time.

I get to keep my $135 for rent and I get to put my car on the market tonight. I'm sad to give up the car I've grown so attached to but I could really use the money from selling it and I can't possibly afford to keep it in NYC. Not a chance.

1 comment:

  1. That is why I want to be a parent, to be able to make someone that happy. That is so so so sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete