My awesome aunt got me a part-time job at her company as a resume reviewer and it is absolutely great. Definitely a position I would and could keep with a full-time job so at least I have that going for me.
Being unemployed has made me even smarter with my money because I know there's so little to spend and none coming in. BUT...
Yay yesterday was the first payday for my part-time job! I really needed that extra $283! It's not much compared to a full-time job (obviously) but it's enough for me to pay off some bills ahead of time. I knocked out my SallieMae loan payment for March and I made a credit card payment (a little more than the minimum).
It is going to take me a while to get out of this debt but right now that's my only major expense. If I'm smart with how I handle my little bitty income, I can still make this work until I land a full-time gig (in addition to the part-time :) )
That said, I have to cut back on the little spending I do. I have done much better at not going out to eat but I could do even better. I have to cut back on trips to NYC (major sad face :( ) and I have to stay far far away from Target and malls. Those are the three big areas my money goes and it can't happen anymore.
Here's a list of little things I'm doing this weekend to save money:
- This afternoon I wanted to grab some lunch when I ran to the bank. Instead, I ran to the bank and I'm about to go make myself a sandwich and some fruit (healthier too!)
- I also thought it'd be nice to spend some time reading at Starbucks. Yes, I do have a giftcard but I'm sure there are other times I will really want to use it. Instead, I will make myself some hot chocolate, curl up in the big comfy reading chair and enjoy my book without the noise of a blender in the background. And I get to pick the music. Even better. And free!
- Tomorrow I picked up a dog-walking job for $20-sweet :)
- Tomorrow night I'm heading to NJ for movie night with my friend. It's $5 to go over the toll bridge but then we're making Mac & Cheese and Funfetti cake that she already has and renting a movie from Redbox for $1. That's a pretty good Sat. night for poor folks like me!
- Tomorrow I'm also going to use a free 7-Day trial at Snap Fitness. So free workout (plus my DVD). And yes I know I said I was going today but they were only staffed until 2 and it just didn't work out. No biggie.
- Sunday I have no plans besides another free workout, another faux-starbucks session and maybe put in some hours at work. Either way, it's free and that's what matters big time right now!