Image Map

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful

 So I had a plan to write each day for the month of November about something I'm thankful for. Didn't work out so much. I know that being thankful for the fortune in your life should happen more than once a year, and for me it does. But I want to show my thanks today, anyway. This post won't include every single person important to me and I left out the long list of superficial things that I also love because that post could go on for days. But here's a start and it makes me pretty happy.
 This is a pretty great family. Near or far, I tell them everything and they're always good for lots of laughs and lots of lessons. My parents celebrate their 25th anniversary in 2012 and I think that's pretty great. My sister is kickin' some booty in the Air Force and I'm pretty proud of her for it. I can't wait for all of us to be together over Christmas.
My extended family is small but I won the jackpot in quality over quantity. It started with my uncle being my buddy and being the brilliant man he is, he picked a pretty cool lady to start a family with. I'm so lucky I've had the chance to get closer to them while living on the east coast. They've opened their home to me countless times and sitting at their kitchen counter chatting with everyone is basically my therapy. I wouldn't be living my dream in New York without them. They are my home away from home and I can't wait to see them all tomorrow. They're always good for a lesson, advice, a new book suggestion or a simple text commiserating about the Vikings.
 MG. My Guy. My love. My rock. No matter how close or how far we are from each other, he is ALWAYS the first person I want to talk to in the morning and the last person I want to say good night to each night. He makes me laugh, he makes me think, he makes my heart smile. He is my partner in crime for any adventure I come up with and he gets me better than anyone. He spoils me and is more than I deserve.
 These girls are pretty amazing, each for their own reasons. Lenka, the blonde on the right, is my oldest friend. We started playing basketball together in 4th grade and have been friends ever since. We get closer and closer and most of our conversations include the phrase "I haven't told anyone this yet but...!" and she is my best ab workout from all our laughter. Tanya, the blonde in the middle, is my second oldest friend, also from basketball. She is my pen pal and a huge source of entertainment and encouragement. Tanya and Lenka make a pretty awesome duo for a night on the town and even though those nights are few and far between with the distance, we always pick up where we leave off. And then there's M (Megan), the one squeezing me in the picture. We were unlikely friends that met on Facebook and now I couldn't imagine my life without her. She is the yin to my yang and also an incredible source of entertainment, advice and support. There is a lot I admire about each of these women and I'm so lucky to call them my best friends.
 Amanda is THE best friend. Since 7th grade we've been through everything together. Distance has definitely taken it's toll on us but I love her just the same. I can't wait to be in her wedding next year!
 The nannies have changed my life. When I moved to New Jersey after high school, I was miserable until I met these ladies. We shared a bond about taking the road less traveled and I'm so glad we were in it together. The year we spent as nannies in New Jersey was full of adventure, laughter, tears, and support. We have all gone our separate ways but we keep in touch as if no time has gone by. I wish we were all rich so we could plan more trips and adventures but e-mails and phone calls work for now.
My southern girls have also changed my life. I have learned SO much from them and they were there for me through some of my hardest growing pains. It all started with Faith (purple sweater) being my silver lining and through her I met Amber and Lindsay. Amber's dedication to her career as a teacher is a huge inspiration for me and Lindsay is always game for a little bit of boy talk. My life wouldn't be the same without any of them. Distance separates us but a simple text is all we need. I'm not sure if I'll ever move back to Rock Hill (probably not but maybe the south) but I will always carry them in my hearts.

"Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away." -- Sex & The City

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post. I'm Happy to see what an amazing group of family and friends you have. A lot of my close friend moved out to the west coast for college and ended up staying there. I really miss them but thanks for Emilee and blogging to keep in touch. My very best BFF that I've known forever is still around which I'm glad for. You could say she's my "Lenka."
    Anyway I LOVED your post and thanks for sharing it with us.
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!! Special Thanks to you for having such a wonderful blog. I'm so Happy to have found it.....Kara XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete