Image Map

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Motivational Monday - Before the new year...

So I have 13 minutes to finish this post to get it in while it is still Monday. I used to be a journalist, I thrive on deadlines. Anyway, something I realized today was that 2011 is rapidly coming to an end. I know, crazy to think about, right? Along with creating a list of resolutions, there's something pretty major I just realized I need to do. Go to the dentist.

This might seem strange that it has to happen before 2012 kicks in. When I got my current job back in March, I signed up for an FSA program. Flexible Spending Account. A certain amount of money is due to come out of my paycheck before taxes and put into my FSA. I have a credit card that carries this balance and it is to be spent only on medical expenses, such as co-pays, prescriptions, etc. Our fiscal year ends in April but I just discovered the FSA program is based on the calendar year.

The program is a "don't use it, you lose it" policy so I have until Dec. 23rd to use up all the money I have left. I completely forgot how much I set aside each month and never wanted to spend any of the money in case of emergencies. It turns out I have $250 to spend in exactly a month!

It's time to FINALLY schedule that dentist appointment I've been avoiding like the plague. I need to buy contacts. I will stock up on asthma medication. I'll see what else I can add to my tab. There's no way I'm letting that money go to waste!

This morning I submitted my new FSA plan for 2012 and I lowered the amount that I set aside for medical. Not by a lot but enough to have a few extra dollars in my check every other week. New York is just way too expensive to not make the most of every penny.

Maybe you're already on top of this, but if you have an FSA I recommend you make sure you make the most of it and figure it out soon before the time runs out.

Ah, just turned Midnight! Good night!

1 comment:

  1. I agree, definitely want to use it up. That's a lot of money to lose if you don't. Kara XOXO

    ReplyDelete