Image Map

Friday, November 18, 2011

Fitness Friday

Food
I ate cupcakes for dinner one night this week. Sometimes saving money by not going to the store or ordering take-out trumps a healthy dinner. I'm not the only one who is tight on a budget and has this mind set. Thanks, Anna. Next week will be a bit better, I'm sure.

Exercise
I'm on week 2 of the Couch to 5K program (C25K), which means I do a 5 min warm up, run for 1:30 min, walk for 2 min until I hit min 25 and then I do a 5 min cool down.

The hardest part for me is getting to the gym. As I sit at my desk for hours on end at work, it's so easy to convince myself that going home to relax and make dinner (or eat cupcakes) sounds so much better. Here are 6 excuses I've given myself this week to try to convince me not to go to the gym:
  1. I wore my glasses today and I forgot my contacts. It's never fun to run with glasses, especially when your face gets all sweaty. Plus if I don't wear my glasses it will be blurry to see everything and I might get dizzy and face plant on the treadmill.
  2. I forgot my key card for the gym. I don't want the people at the gym to not be able to find me in their database or something or what if no one is sitting behind the desk and no one will let me in. 
  3. I have too much to do tonight. Like stop at the grocery store, finish my book, make some cupcakes, visit a friend to watch Parenthood...super pressing, urgent things. 
  4. I'm tired. It's pretty likely that by the time I get on the treadmill I will be too tired and exhausted to do anything so I might as well not waste my time. 
  5. My knees and shins will probably hurt and who wants that? I don't want to injure myself.
  6. I forgot my tennis shoes and there's no way I can run in heals or moccasins. 
Fortunately I didn't let excuses 1-5 stop me. It turns out I am in their computer system and someone with my exact same last name walked in right before me. Small world! There really was nothing I could do about #6 but that only happened once. I'm very glad I made it to the gym because once I hopped on the treadmill it felt great! Each interval I ran I wasn't exhausted and during each walking break I was looking forward to a running interval again. My shins did bug me on occasion but it was manageable. Good experiences at the gym keep me motivated and excited for my running goals!(side note: I just typed "funning" instead of running on accident...maybe I'm on to something!)

Here are a few excuses TO workout:

I also like the idea of posting one workout song each Friday. Today is definitely "Gonna make you sweat" by C&C Music Factory. An oldie but a goodie for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment