Image Map

Thursday, June 2, 2011

I survived my first night

Home sweet home apparently. I was going to cave and take a cab with all of my bags to avoid the rush hour subway. hundreds of cabs drove past and no one was willing to help a lady out. I moved to different corners and eventually made it to a subway station anyway. Dumb idea. The 5pm subway with a really heavy duffel bag, tote bag and a comforter bag is damn near impossible. It was hot, packed and the trains were running late. Miserable. There was no way I was getting on the second subway I needed to complete my trip so I got out at Union Square and tried to hail a cab from there. After a lot of patience I managed to get there $10 later.

Once I got to the room, the girl I'm subleasing from announced we were going to dinner at 8:30 to this great little vegan place. Ummm excuse me? I suddenly got flashes of the scene in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days where Matthew McConaughey made a delicious rack of lamb and they have to go eat at a vegetarian restaurant instead and he has to swish water around in his mouth after every bite. I'd post a clip if YouTube had one. I was less than thrilled to spend what little money I have at a place I didn't even want to go but I didn't want to be the pain in the ass new roommate.

While I waited for dinner, I made a trip to the grocery store to get a few staples: Cup O Noodles, Frozen broccoli, peanut M&Ms, peanut butter, veggie oil, popcorn, pancake mix, butter, syrup, milk, tuna, ranch, ice cream, eggs and a salad bag. $32.89 Keep in mind I also found a sale at Target on Mac & Cheese and Pasta Roni and Ramen so I can mix those into my meals too. I figure all of these items can form some sort of meal for the days I'm not allowed to spend any money or the money I have left is already spread too thin. According to my subleaser, I went to an expensive grocery store and she suggested I go to Trader Joes...that can't be less expensive, right? I've never been to Trader Joes but I bought the cheapest items I could but nothing I bought was more than $5 and the majority of it was under $3. I guess I'll have to explore the area more.

Eventually it became time to leave for dinner. After waiting a long time, we realized they only take cash...perfect. We had to walk to an ATM which of course wasn't a Wells Fargo affiliated ATM so they charged me an extra $3 plus my bank charges $2.50 per withdraw at a non ATM bank. Super duper. Lesson learned, carry cash apparently. Or maybe don't go to vegan restaurants.

My sea ceaser salad cost $11 which turned into $17 with the ATM fees. I would have happily made mac & cheese at home instead. And that is exactly what I will do tonight.

So the first night was a little rough but I do have some good news!

I got another job! I found a place willing to start training me as a waitress and it's close to my work. The place seems nice and the food looks great. I start tomorrow night (training on a Friday night...throw me to the wolves why don't you?!) and I'm also working brunch on Saturday. I'm pretty excited and really hoping this works out for a longer amount of time. If I can be a little more financially stable and maybe even have a little extra.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Yay!! Sounds like things are coming together! Could you have told your roomates you needed to stay in to avoid the 20 dollar dinner though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news on the job! Congrats!

    I love love love Trader Joe's! You should definitely check it out. Their prices are great and the quality of their products is way higher than a regular supermarket.

    I hope you have a good weekend and good luck at your new job!

    ReplyDelete