Image Map

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My countless attempts to save money on food

Dinner last night was FANTASTIC. The company of my great aunt and uncle is unmatched by most people and I'm so lucky to have the chance to get to know them at this stage in life. We ate at Red Rocks in Charlotte and man was it delicious! I had an outstanding meal of steak, mashed potatoes, green beens (yes, I ate them!) and onion rings-really random topping on the steak I thought but no complaints here! The meal ended with an awesome slice of red velvet cake...mmmmm! Can I tell you how excited I am for my lunch of leftovers? Man, I was sure spoiled! I'm really hoping I can see them on a more regular basis since we're so close. We plan on getting together to play tennis soon and I'm looking forward to it!

Anyway, my meals lately have either been from restaurants or left overs from those meals. A friend took me to dinner last week (he had a gift card :) ), KP and I ordered food over the weekend, and then last night's meal. I can't get that lucky all the time so I need to start meal planning a little better. We have a little cafe in our office that has a great variety of breakfast and lunch foods but that can add up quickly.

I'm always on the hunt for new recipes and meals that would be easy to take to work. Especially on the days I work both jobs, it's essential I bring my meals to save money. My goal this afternoon is to find some new, easy, inexpensive recipes to spice up my cookbook. I've also started bringing a box of cereal and milk to work for my breakfasts in the morning. It's not as great as the eggs, toast and bacon I get from Louis at the cafe but it's much cheaper. I'm almost already out of my Apple Jacks so it's time to pick a new cereal...any votes?

I'm grocery shopping tomorrow night (and FINALLY getting my oil changed!) so I'll let you know what I come up with!

PS-1 month til I see my mom and sister in Albuquerque!! Time to request off another weekend of work!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I would vote to go with something semi-healthy like yogurt cheerios. I love those! THey are still sweet but not as bad for you as froot loops or pops.
    It's so hard cuz sometimes you get in a funk and the food you bring doesn't look good at all so it's easy to go out to eat. I just had to start making things to take to work that I actually wanted to eat! =)

    ReplyDelete