Image Map

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Financial rough patch...what else is new?

So as I mentioned in my last post, my paycheck tomorrow will be only half of what it should be since I was home for a week of that pay period. As much fun as my trip home was, OUCH! It's a pretty big blow financially-and yes, I'm realizing this now. Of course.

Anyways, I have money to pay 1/2 the rent (1/2 comes from each paycheck), I'll put what's hopefully enough towards utilities and the rest is gas money to get to and from work for the next 2 weeks-I'm hoping only $50 but I have a feeling things will come up. Yikes.

That said, after my last post I went the grocery store trying to find foods that would make meals enough to last me the next 2 weeks (plus this week so far). Guess who found the dollar store? That's right, me. And I actually found a few things I actually needed for far less. I'm not proud to say I legitimately shopped there but it's true. I found boxes of noodles for $.85! I ended up with a fairly long receipt $11 later.

It didn't complete my grocery shopping for the next 2 weeks though so I decided to try one of the two other grocery stores practically in my backyard. First I tried the closest one but I eventually walked out. There wasn't anything exactly wrong with it but most things were Spanish brands and I was looking for a little more familiarity. I headed down the street to Bi Lo, which was right up my alley. I got myself a discount card (which even gives gas discounts-perfect!) and they had some great deals! Buy 2 Digiorno pizzas and get: a box of pizza rolls, a Pepridge Farm cake, loaf of garlic bread AND a 6-pack of Mountain Dew FREE! Umm..yes please! I also got some Ragu (no more Prego for me-and hey, Ragu has a full serving of veggies in it!) and ground beef (I can't find ground turkey anywhere!) to go with my dollar store noodles and some BBQ sauce and Chicken in case I eventually get sick of Italian food (which everyone knows I will).

I cooked up some noodles and meat sauce for my work meals. I think it'll last me for the next 2. I just have to be smart about portions and not wasting food. Wish me luck! This is actually worse than college kid living! But it takes dedication getting on track and I'm willing to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment