Image Map

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

What I'm Reading Wednesday- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Week 2 of WIRW brings you Little Bee by Chris Cleave.
Here's what Good Reads had to say
"This is the story of two women. Their lives collide one fateful day, and one of them has to make a terrible choice, the kind of choice we hope you never have to face. Two years later, they meet again - the story starts there ..."
The Washington Post review said
"'Little Bee' deserves a warning label: "Do not judge this book by its cover. Contents under pressure." Despite the cutesy title (the book was more sensibly published in Britain as "The Other Hand") and the coy book-flap description ("It is a truly special story and we don't want to spoil it"), "Little Bee" will blow you away."
So you can imagine my expectations. My aunt also recommended this book to me and I've been looking forward to reading it for a while. I was in suspense the entire time because the book-flap made me think something absurd and intense would happen. I enjoyed the story but nothing shocked me. I got to the last 10 pages and my heart started to race. What could happen in the last 10 pages that would cause such a vague book-flap, vague plot summaries on Amazon and Good Reads and for such a glowing review in the Post?

Nothing. Nothing happened! The plot and storyline are intense and full of gut-wrenching social issues but then it just ended! I'm still not quite sure what happens to the characters. Maybe it's just that I've spent too much time watching Dora the Explorer when I babysit or that my high school English class analyzing skills have worn off but I am left without answers and I am left disappointed.

You should still give it a try because it brings up social issues that aren't typically discussed (at least not in a lot of the books I read) and maybe you will get more out of it that I did.

I give it a 4/5. It would have been a 5/5 if the ending was a little better or more conclusive.

Next up: Happy Accidents by Jane Lynch

No comments:

Post a Comment