Image Map

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What I'm Reading Wednesday - Happy Accidents by Jane Lynch

Jane Lynch is hilarious. Simple as that.

I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard at the 40-year-old Virgin when she sang the Guatemalan love song. It actually translates to "Whenever they clean my room, I can't find anything/Where are you going with such haste?/To a football game."
 Then I was thrilled to see her as Sue Sylvester on Glee. I was a little bit of a choir nerd in high school so I definitely dig that show.
Sue: All I want is just one day a year when I'm not visually assaulted by uglies and fatties.

Most recently, I have been streaming Party Down on Netflix. It was recommended to me by a few friends and for good reason: It is hysterical. Jane's character is one of the funniest and I'm a little bit sad that Glee stole her away from this show.


So you can imagine I was thrilled when M could snag a copy of Jane's memoir (my favorite genre of book). 
Here's the back cover:
"If I could go back in time and talk to my twenty-year-old self, the first thing I would say is: "Lose the perm." Secondly I would say: "Relax. Really. Just relax. Don't sweat it."
I can't remember a time when I wasn't anxious and fearful that the parade would pass me by. And I was sure there was someone or something outside of myself with all the answers. I had a driving, anxiety-filled ambition. I wanted to be a working actor so badly. I wanted to belong and feel like I was valued and seen. Well, now I am a working actor, and I guarantee you it's not because I suffered or worried over it.
As I look back, the road to where I am today has been a series of happy accidents I was either smart or stupid enough to take advantage of. I thought I had to have a plan, a strategy. Turns out I just had to be ready and willing to take chances, look at what's right in front of me, and put my heart into everything I do. All that anxiety and fear didn't help, nor did it fuel anything useful. My final piece of advice to twenty-year-old me: Be easy on your sweet self. And don't drink Miller Lite tall boys in the morning."
Since she has always stayed out of the lime light and typically remains drama free in the public eye, I was curious to hear her story. I love reading about peoples' lives, and when they're funny people it's even better. Not many stars become famous in their 40's and 50's these days but it worked for Jane. Her story is interesting and mostly comical, although I think she's a better comedian than writer and it showed in her book. The writing and format was a bit choppy but I might just be picky since I was a print journalism major with a focus on editing.

Overall, I would definitely pick up a copy and enjoy a pretty leisurely read. I would give it a 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment