December 1 One Word.
Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?
(Author: Gwen Bell)
Wow...2010. It took a lot of thought to find a word that truly encompasses the massive roller coaster that was 2010. With the help of a friend, the best word is probably CHALLENGING! Let's recap and see if you agree:
- Last semester of college with 18 credits, two jobs and an internship.
- Started teaching myself about money and started this blog.
- XMG's brother's lukemia came back over spring break, while we were relaxing in South Padre, TX.
- Swallowed my pride and prayed.
- LOTS of trips to Wisconsin to be with XMGB and family.
- Studying for finals and potentially not passing.
- Job hunted in the worst economy ever.
- Jumping through lots of hoops two weeks before graduation to get my study abroad credits counted so I could graduate.
- XMGB got an infection. In WI every other day when we weren't taking finals. (It's a 4.5 hour drive).
- Broke my foot and ankle the evening I finished finals and was trying to celebrate.
- XMGB's brother past away-by far the worst experience of my life.
- Sat in my pajamas on college graduation day, helping write the obituary in Wisc.
- Two weeks later I moved to Charlotte, NC for my first job.
- Started from scratch, not knowing a soul and created a life of my own in a place I had never been.
- Got my very first apartment and bills all by myself.
- Forced myself out of every comfort zone I've ever had.
- Ended my three-year relationship with XMG.
- Went crazy for a guy who has a very complicated life and felt a real heartbreak.
- Discovered what it feels like to have a muffin top and stomach rolls.
- Joined a church.
- Went to New York.
- Went to New Mexico.
- Met a lot of new people (still am).
- Kept an open mind and made lots of friends.
- Tried lots of new things.
- Learned what free time feels like and tried to learn what to do with it.
- Learned what it's like to have a credit card balance.
- Paid my first student loan bills.
- Visited home.
- Maintained all of my friendships with my closest friends from back home minus one.
- Got a different second job and tacked on babysitting
- Still trying to figure out where to go from here as far as jobs, where I want to live and who I want to be.
My word for 2011, at least I hope, is calm. I need a little bit of time where life mellows out just a little. I need some stability, some security and some time to just relax and enjoy.
What are YOUR words?!