Image Map

Friday, October 10, 2014

But what if you get a hole in your yoga pants?

As I explained the spending challenge to my friends, I told them I wasn't allowed to buy clothes for a whole year. One friend asked, "But what if you get a hole in your yoga pants or something you can't easily repair??"

Normally, if I got a hole in my beloved yoga pants I would have gone out and bought another pair. I would have found a Buy 1, Get 1 50% off coupon and then I have 2 new pairs of yoga pants. Did you know I already have several pairs? Same with jeans, sweaters, tank tops, shoes, dresses, etc.

I have enough clothes to not do laundry for probably 2 months without repeating outfits. It's ridiculous. Not only do all these clothes take up so much space but it takes forever to make a decision on what to wear each day. If I think jeans and a sweater sound good, that could still mean several variations. If a dress sounds good, I freeze debating a sun dress or maxi. And then what shoes go with what outfit??

I know this is typical girl stuff but it takes up a decent chunk of time each day making this relatively minor decision. And then I become late for work and rush myself into a decision that I don't even love sometimes.

Part of this spending challenge is focusing on my priorities. Spending money on clothes I don't need is certainly something I want to quit. I also want to get precious time back into my day that is normally wasted on clothes. Time wasted picking out outfits, loads of laundry, picking up the clothes all over my floor or putting laundry away. It's getting old.

Coincidentally, last week I did get a hole in my yoga pants. As stretchy as they are, thankfully it was not due to an expanding waistband. The seam caught on a filing cabinet and it split right down my thigh. The paperclip I used to keep my pants together made for a really cute look.

I thew them out when I got home and have easily been surviving with the other pairs I have.

I'll admit that there are times when I get an email for a fall special on sweaters with a fairly good coupon attached. I'll admit that I've wanted to browse the racks of Target several times already for a few cute new additions. But when I look at my closet, I can't stand the idea of another hanger being used.

So now, if anything happens to my clothes, I can either sew them with my sewing machine or I can throw them out. After all, I have several backups of whatever item to last me through the year. There is nothing irreplaceable in my wardrobe that would absolutely require me to buy clothes during this challenge, with the exception of bridesmaid dresses, which are covered in my Bridesmaid fund. 

I even want to downsize and donate a big bin to Good Will but I've been nervous because what if I get bored with my clothes this year and want to try some lesser worn outfits? But the simplistic approach will win me some time back in my day, which is worth a lot.

5 comments:

  1. I have a one out, one in rule for my closet. If I'm going to purchase something new, I have to get rid of an item. And that usually happens when I haven't done laundry in two weeks. I'll go through the clothes still hanging and sometimes find something I forgot I had, but I usually find something I can't believe I ever purchased and either toss it or put it in a bag for Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be nice to just buy more pants when you get a hole in your new pants. I was hoping you actually had good advice on how to salvage a pair of yoga pants if you got a hole but nope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must be nice to just buy more pants when you get a hole in your new pants. I was hoping you actually had good advice on how to salvage a pair of yoga pants if you got a hole but nope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. yoga pants for women

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just the information I am finding everywhere. Thanks for your blog, I just subscribe your blog. This is a nice blog.. nsf destroyed tee

    ReplyDelete